Help support my photography a lot! ($12.70)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Eve Punk/Metal Show at the Rhode...


There is something intrinsically wrong with a 54 year old man spending his NYE at a punk and metal show. Or maybe not. Who can tell?

Punk came to America's attention in 1976, the year I turned 20. It was loud, obnoxious and nihilistic. Punk and I were a total fit. Here, 34 years down the road, I still have a fondness for the overwhelming wall of music it beats the ear with.


Now, I love shooting in low light conditions. I may not be worth a shit at it, but I love it none the less. The T1i came back from warranty work just this last week. The shop calibrated the auto focus and the results show a big improvement. What made this shoot even better than a sharper picture was that the guys at the camera shop showed me how to activate the ISO expansion. What does that mean?

Well, boyos, for one thing it means that I am not limited to the normal 3200 speed - with just a flick of a switch and a couple of clicks the camera can now shoot at insanely fast 12,800. And what does this mean? Simply, that I can shoot under even less light. True, the results are incredibly grainy, but heavy grain tends to have that old time newspaper photo look (yay!). And that's good. Way good.


In a change up from some of the stuff I normally do, you'll see that many of these shots have been editing twice - once for color and once for black and white (the B&W processing really brings out that newspaper look) or sepia. In some cases the black and white makes the picture look oodles better.

Anyhow, it's well after midnite and time for beddy bye. If you or your band was pictured in any of these shots and you like them, drop me a line to let me know.

Thanks for the show, ya'll. It was great listening to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment