Help support my photography a lot! ($12.70)

Thursday, December 17, 2020

The United States of America - Hegemon or Empire?

I was just arguing with a friend - "Is the USA an empire or not?"
 
I took the pro side in this. I firmly believe we are. However, I went looking for some proof and found these three links

Supporting pro empire argument, here's this short video. I believe was made from scans of Howard Zinn's graphic novel - "A People's History of American Empire". I was a big fan of that book, and it's one I would recommend getting in paper rather than Kindle.

Anyhow, here's the video -



 
I'll have to be honest and admit I only read a few paragraphs into his article, but one of his arguments seems to be that we are a hegemon - essentially an elder stronger sibling of nations* - in that we guide but don't control brethren nations. 
 
An empire would be us muscling and controlling countries, and, by his words, we don't do that.
 
I am sure I have straw manned his argument. Read it to actually see his words (and remember, I haven't read but a portion of it My eyes don't work so well these days. It's why I prefer citing videos over the written word).
 
Still, there is another thing to say. We did have smaller sib nations we have worked with - Britain and Taiwan for example. But what about the smallest sibs? 
 
Growing up in the 60's/70's... well, we all have at least heard of Vietnam and we have an idea of what went down there. But there were other countries that were too small and succumbed.
Chile - before Pinochet there was Allende. And before the Shah of Iran there was Mossadegh. Both were taken care of by the US. 
 
 
 
 
I first heard of John Perkins (author of "Confessions of an Economic Hitman") watching one of the Zeitgeist movies back in 2014 or so. The things he says argue against the US as hegemon.
Here's the clip I first saw him in.

If someone wants to argue we are not an empire I will listen to their words, at least early on before any arguments can get redundant. One has to stay open to the other side as you can always learn something. But in the meantime, I will be sticking by my conclusion - the USA is an empire.

[* a better phrase would have been "big brother" rather than "elder sibling" but I didn't want to poison the well. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment