Help support my photography a lot! ($12.70)

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sometimes you win, sometimes not so much...

 

If this set proved anything, it likely proved that trying something new sometimes just does not work.

In an attempt to avoid using flash on these photographs (as a rule, I hate using flash) I decided to see what I could do by combining a 3200 speed with a long shutter time (these shots vary between 1/50th of a second and 1/10th, I believe) and the use of an IS lens.


And what this proved is sometimes when you try something you really need to not try it again.

On the bright side, my hold on the camera combined with the image stabilization was pretty steady. You can tell that by looking at the shots where there was a floor mic used. The speaker will be blurred - anywhere from just a touch to very - but the microphone itself will be sharp and clear.



In the best of shots, this effect gives a painted look, like something impressionistic. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case often enough to justify doing this again.

So what was the lesson learned from this experience? Don't be afraid of flash, that sometimes it is a necessary evil.


Oh well. Maybe my next experiment will involve using a flash frame. I haven't done that at this venue yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment