Help support my photography a lot! ($12.70)

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Re Editing Videos - Two Tribes, Frankie Goes to Hollywood

[Note - pertinent links at the end of the post]

When I was younger - about two decades younger - I just knew I would take off as a great photographer. But it never happened. Such is life, my friends...

My interests have changed and evolved over time. I still enjoy photography but I have also come to like editing - or rather re editing - videos. I find re editing videos is a lot like doing cover songs in bars. They can be nice to hear and refreshing revisits to an old fave song. Or they might be laughable and unbearable shit piles.

 


 
 I'll leave it up to you as to decide which this is.

I'm a huge fan of open source programs that allow people to play and experiment with their thoughts and creativity without a charge up front. Instead of Photoshop, Gimp. Need a DAW? Audacity or LMMS. What you need is out there if you just search it out.

And if you need to learn how to use them, YouTube is your friend.

Free video editing programs are out there too. I started with using Kdenlive, native to Linux but now available for Windows. But since version 9.0 I have found that program to be a bit wonky (I miss their awesome old slide show creator). So I have switched to Shotcut.

Shotcut is rock solid, and pretty full featured, but it is definitely not pro level (for that try DaVinci Resolve. The free version will only render at 720 but if you can live with that, you're good).

One of the biggest problems I've found with starting new creations is that I am ham-fisted in the edits. But that is ok. It's part of the learning curve. Just do what you do then draw it back 50% (or maybe 75%).

Anyhow, the links to some of these programs are below. Download what you need to go where you want to go.

You can download any of the programs mentioned above by clicking below. The links are to the actual programs and DO NOT contain bloat or crap-ware slapped on them by repackagers. They also open in new windows.

Enjoy the play which is creativity.

Shotcut video editor

Audacity audio editor

Kdenlive video editor

Davinci Resolve video editor

LMMS audio editing

Gimp image editor



No comments:

Post a Comment